I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Tyvek Experiments

I received some lovely gifts at Christmas and some came in tyvek envelopes!! Sometimes you just can’t think about something too much - you just need to gather up the materials and give it a try. That is how it came about that I spent a lovely hour or so playing with tyvek, some fabric paint, a teflon sheet, an iron and a heat gun.

Trying this out wasn’t my intention; I seem to recall that I was looking for something totally unrelated when I saw the envelopes and something in my head clicked. Whatever it was, I gathered everything up, laid it out on top of the other bits and pieces I was working on and I found myself painting and heating tyvek. 

Everything I have read or seen about this process tells you to work in a well ventilated area. Disclosure - I didn’t and I didn’t use a mask. Bad of me, I know. I tend to be slack about this type of thing, but I do encourage everyone else to take the necessary precautions. I figure after lettering signs with lead based paints and silk screening for years with little or no ventilation...and besides, it was just two envelopes and I didn’t breath deeply.



Lots of fun to be had playing with this technique! And you don’t need to use fabric paints - any old acrylic paint will do apparently. I can see beads and such intertwined with the pieces I have created. There will probably be some bits of over painting, too, and maybe some fibre bits added. Right now I have some of these laid out with a couple of the pieces I sun printed this summer and I am thinking there are possibilities..

2 comments:

  1. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJanuary 25, 2015 at 4:52 PM

    Hi Linda! I learned this past summer while taking classes at the Vermont Quilt Festival that a lot of people buy tyvek coveralls at Lowe's (they are used to protect clothes while painting) and us them for art quilting! I hope to pick up a coverall or two this summer- then I will have lots to play with! Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJanuary 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM

    I think it could get addictive just playing with the tyvek! The results are so interesting each and every time, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete