I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Monday, March 19, 2012

Today has been a beautifully sunny day and although the temperature was only registering 3 degrees, it certainly felt warmer when you were sheltered. The next few days promise highs of 21 and 23! This time of year when you realize summer might actually come again, it renews my belief that there be beach days soon. Looking around, admiring the sun beaming through all the windows, I also realize I still had a small Christmas wall hanging on my dining room/office wall! Perhaps it just might be time to take it down and replace it with something more seasonally appropriate!

The hanging I decided on is one based on a drawing by Simone when she was 6 or 7. I chose to piece the background and hand applique an enlarged copy of her drawing over this pieced base. I used satin stitch as well to enhance some details and made a fabric balloon for “meow”. I tend to use free form quilting when I hand quilt and this was no exception. Keeping the backing light, the stitches show better on the back but when the light hits the hanging in just the right fashion, the stitch patterns do show well.





I have quite a morgue of animal drawings by both children and have plans to continue incorporating them in future fabric and quilted pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment