I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Butterlies on the Yellow Brick Road

This is a client’s Yellow Brick Road quilt she pieced for her granddaughter.
Before quilting photo
She provided me with a cotton batting, pale yellow fireside for the back and requested a butterflies for the quilting pattern. I used a soft yellow toned neutral thread for top and bobbin.

My sister is a sewer, but essentially a non-quilter. At her request, I try to remember to include the before photo of a project in my posts, because as she says, she and many others cannot envision how stitching will alter the look of a pieced top as it transitions to a finished quilt. I like that even simple designs can accomplish this transition. So many times I think how great it would be to cover that top with intricate stitching designs, but the reality is, not every quilt needs this, nor does it contribute to the purpose of the quilt, and as well, not everyone wants to spend the extra money it would cost to pay for the additional time it would take.
After quilting photo



In this case a pantograph design worked really well for the purpose this quilt was meant and it is very pretty with its airy butterflies on the summery, fresh fabrics. It is currently being well used and loved by Sharon’s granddaughter.


I am linking with Monika and other Canadian stitchers at The Needle and Thread Network.

2 comments:

  1. Great panto Jennifer! Lovely quilt too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Scantlebury VienneauJuly 31, 2014 at 9:36 PM

    Thanks, Lorette!

    ReplyDelete