I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Beginning Rulerwork

The more I use my longarm, the more I realize I don’t know. Although I wanted a machine for about 14 years, I made the decision to buy and ordered mine within a 24 hour period. A fast decision overall, especially for someone who can agonize over choices. There are no regrets, but my learning curve is wide, wide, wide......

Ruler work was one of those mysteries. I openly admit it. But, once I opened that can of worms, I ordered the things I needed and finally got some time to give it all a try! My Dad made me some super plexiglass rulers - circles, ovals, curves - and I had a grand time trying a couple of them out!

I decided this lovely little top with its fussy cut blocks could really use some extra effort to turn it into a soft cuddly lap quilt for someone. And I had the perfect thread, a beautiful green Glide with lots of sheen that I got in a sample pack! I also wanted to try stitching in the ditch with my new to me monofilament thread. So, I used a double layer of polyester batt to soften it up and got to work.



Along with those curves on each block, I quilted in the ditch along all blocks and borders to help create that puffiness I was going for. I also decided to give some feathers a try and quilted a swirl of them in the border.
The double batt and the chintz fabric made quilting a somewhat awkward combination, but overall I was pleased with the end result. The quilt is soft and cuddly and has the feel of a “comforter”.

I am linking up with The Needle and Thread Network

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous Jennifer!! I do those little curves free hand; but they are not nice and even like yours are....nice job on the feathers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this Jennifer! Great job! and what pretty fabric too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flo @ Butterfly QuiltingJune 19, 2013 at 11:35 AM

    good job! looks like you are learning quickly!!
    I find that the poly batting does make my quilts "stiffer" too. They dont seem to drape as nicely, but do have the poofy factor! I use warm and natural now, and like how soft they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan Being SnippyJune 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

    the chintz fabric along with the quilting and extra batting make this whole project a winner! I love the golds and browns and bit of purple.

    ReplyDelete