I come from a long line of sign writers and am happiest with a brush and some paint! Add
paint to fabric and I get really excited!!

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Low immersion

Once I get my dye stuffs out, I tend to want to keep going. I had another lovely session and came up with some great greens to add to my stash. I use Procion MX cold water dyes and a minimum of fuss.

I buy my soda ash in large quantity from the local swimming pool store and use a selection of dollar store mixing cups, dish pans, plastic containers and spoons as my tools. I don’t use salt, or urea, or any fancy soaps for rinsing.


In the past I have used all the suggested accoutrements and have had varying degrees of success with them. I do use urea and salt when I microwave dye and also when I use the immersion method. But right now, keeping it simple is working best for me.







I used a low immersion method for these pieces and let them sit for a good 24 hours before I rinsed them out. I even cut corners on my rinsing methods today - I unfolded each piece and ran cool water over them to get out the worst of the excess dye. Then I let them sit in a pan of cool water to further disperse the dye molecules. Then I tossed them all in the washer, spun them out, rinsed twice in cold water, then washed them twice in hot water.


 I’m pleased with the results.
































Am linking to The Needle and Thread Network

























No comments:

Post a Comment